allergic reactions to insect stings

Getting stung by an insect is an inevitable consequence of interacting with the environment.

Regardless of age or geographic location, whether you work in an office or out on site, spend your free time worshipping the sun or hiding in the shade, wasps and bees are one of the few invertebrates we encounter in Europe which pose a risk of harm.

For most people, a sting from a bee or wasp is a short-term inconvenience. A few hours of significant pain, which can be alleviated with nothing more than a rude word, some cold water and perhaps a mild painkiller. For other people, however, bees and wasps pose a significant danger. Allergic reactions or anaphylaxis can develop from a sting, which are potentially life-threatening.

The article, written by Dr. Aarn Huissoon (MB, PhD, FRCP, FRCPath) for BALI, has been possible thanks to a financial grant from ALK-Abello, a global, research-driven pharmaceutical company which focusses on allergy diagnosis and treatment. It has been written specifically for landscape professionals and explores the types of reactions, the symptoms and treatment.

For more information about how to treat insect stings visit the NHS website here.