CDM scope


- When does CDM apply?
- When does CDM not apply?
- Under CDM, what is 'Construction'?
- What are my duties under CDM?
- Is my project notifiable to the HSE?
- Who has to notify the HSE?
- How is the HSE notified?

When does CDM apply?

CDM applies to every 'Construction' project regardless of project duration and project size.  If you are involved in a construction project, you will have duties under CDM.

When does CDM not apply?

CDM regulations apply to every 'Construction' project.  The only projects to which CDM does not apply, are those projects which are not related to building, civil engineering or construction work.  

For example, tree or landscaping works which form part of a construction project (for example, landscaping or landscape maintenance on a house building development) would be considered to fall within CDM.  

Standalone maintenance or soft landscaping works (for example, mowing activities on a commerical or domestic site where no construction is taking place) are unlikely to fall within CDM. 

Under CDM, what is 'Construction'? 

(a) the construction, alteration, conversion, fitting out, commissioning, renovation, repair, upkeep, redecoration or other maintenance (including cleaning which involves the use of water or an abrasive at high pressure, or the use of corrosive or toxic substances), de-commissioning, demolition or dismantling of a structure;

(b) the preparation for an intended structure, including site clearance, exploration, investigation (but not site survey) and excavation (but not pre-construction archaeological investigations), and the clearance or preparation of the site or structure for use or occupation at its conclusion;

(c) the assembly on site of prefabricated elements to form a structure or the disassembly on site of the prefabricated elements which, immediately before such disassembly, formed a structure; 

(d) the removal of a structure, or of any product or waste resulting from demolition or dismantling of a structure, or from disassembly of prefabricated elements which immediately before such disassembly formed such a structure;

(e) the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair or removal of mechanical, electrical, gas, compressed air, hydraulic,
telecommunications, computer or similar services which are normally fixed within or to a structure

Under CDM regulations, 'Structure' includes:

(a) any building, timber, masonry, metal or reinforced concrete structure, railway line or siding, tramway line, dock, harbour, inland navigation, tunnel, shaft, bridge, viaduct, waterworks, reservoir, pipe or pipeline, cable, aqueduct, sewer, sewage works, gasholder, road, airfield, sea defence works, river works, drainage works, earthworks, lagoon, dam, wall, caisson, mast, tower, pylon, underground tank, earth retaining structure or structure designed to preserve or alter any natural feature, and fixed plant; 

(b) any structure similar to anything specified in paragraph (a);

(c) any formwork, falsework, scaffold or other structure designed or used to provide support or means of access during construction work

What are my duties under CDM?

This depends on your role in the construction project and the type of project.  The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) identifies 7 roles under CDM: 

  • Commercial clients
  • Domestic clients 
  • Designers 
  • Principal designers 
  • Principal contractors 
  • Contractors 
  • Workers 

Click this link to identify what your duties are on a project, and bear in mind you may have more than one role in a project.

Is my project notifiable to the HSE?

The HSE must be notified of construction projects if they are expected to:

  1. Last longer than 30 working days and have more than 20 workers working at the same time at any point on the project
  2. Exceed 500 person days. 
    e.g. 5 people working for 30 days = 5 x 30 = 150 person days = Not notifiable 
    e.g. 10 people working for 60 days = 10 x 60 = 600 person days = Notifiable project

Note: 'working day' = means any day on which construction work takes place

Who has to notify the HSE?

Commercial clients must notify the HSE
Domestic clients can nominate either the contractor (or principal contractor is there is more than one contractor) or principal designer where there is written agreement they will carry our the client's duties

How is the HSE notified?

The HSE can be notified either online or via post by completing an F10 form.